Jessie’s Fund supports children with disabilities through the therapeutic use of music. This can be music therapy or creative music projects – activities in which the children themselves are participating and finding expression through music. Our priority is to help children with more complex needs or life-limiting conditions. You can find out how we can help in children’s hospices and special schools here.
We may also be able to help other organisations if their projects meet our criteria, but please note that we will not be able to consider or acknowledge applications which are not connected to musical activity, nor applications from outside the UK.
The majority of our larger grants to organisations tend to be between £2,000 and £4,000. Applications from organisations are considered three times a year. Our next application deadline is 31st May 2017. Applicants will be informed of the outcome about four weeks later.
In addition to support for organisations, we make grants for therapy with fully qualified music therapists to individual children who have special or complex medical needs. Grants to individuals are usually not more than £500. These applications are considered at the end of each month and applicants will hear from us during the first half of the following month.
Applications should be submitted by downloading the appropriate form and emailing it to us or posting it to the address at the bottom of this page. You can find our forms further down this page.
- We accept applications for work with individual children or from organisations.
- We support work with children and young people up to the age of 19 who have significant disabilities or long-term illness.
- We prioritise those who are not able to communicate verbally.
- First applications also receive priority, though in some circumstances we may be able to offer a repeat grant.
- All applications must be for music related activities.
- Applications for help for individuals should be accompanied by a supporting letter from a healthcare professional where possible. These applications are usually considered at the end of each month.
- We prefer applications from organisations to demonstrate that they are raising funds from other sources in addition to applying to Jessie’s Fund.
- We can accept applications for help in purchasing musical instruments only where these will be used in an organisation.
- We prefer organisations to demonstrate that there is commitment to continue projects beyond any potential funding from Jessie’s Fund.
- Where possible we ask organisations to include their most recent annual report and accounts.
- Please be clear about the amount you are applying for and about any other potential sources of funding for your project.
- We are unlikely to consider applications from organisations which have received a grant from us within the previous two years.
- Unsuccessful applicants can reapply no sooner than 12 months after they hear the outcome of their initial application.
- We are unlikely to help very large organisations.
- We ask for a report to be submitted at the end of the period of funding. No future application would be considered if we have not received this report. A report form can be downloaded here.
These downloadable application forms can be printed and posted to us, or filled in electronically and sent by email. You will need to save the file to your hard disk before filling it in. When you have filled it in, save it again, and email it to us as an attached file, along with any supporting information. If you prefer to print out the form and post it to us, our address is on the form and also at the bottom of this page.
You will need Adobe Reader (or another pdf reader) to read these files. You can download Adobe Reader free here.
Click on the links below to download the forms.
- Creative music projects for children with special needs
- Musical instruments in an organisation
- Music therapy for an individual child
- Music therapy for an organisation
If you have a query, email us or call us on 01904 658189.